What’s New (IN)security? Last month Dark Reading announced that it would be producing a new live event called Insecurity.  According to Dark Reading, the conference, taking place Gaylord National Harbor on 29 – 30 November, “will concentrate on methods of defense, rather than exploits and attacks.” The agenda will demonstrate best practices in how to do key security functions “such as budgeting, staffing, patch management, user provisioning, security metrics, incident response,” etc. In addition to the traditional conference sessions, Dark Reading will create interactive sessions and group discussions to facilitate conversation among attendees. Registration is not yet open but you can sign up to be notified when it does.

Time for a (Name) Change: The team behind the recently-concluded Cloud Identity Summit (CIS) declared that it would be renaming the summit to Identiverse. According to the conference mangers the breadth of content shared at the event has grown with attendance and the new name “better reflects the growing diversity of ideas and networks within the industry.” Identiverse 2018 will take place on 24 – 27 June in Boston.  Topics will again include evolving trends and best practices around ideas such as intelligent identity, the Internet of Things, standards adoption and mobility.

CES Gets Smart (Cities): The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) announced that Smart Cities will be a new area of focus at the CES 2018. The show will feature a full conference program highlighting 5G technologies and public/private partnerships, “and include experts in utilities, health, safety and other public services.” CES will also host a dedicated smart city exhibit area, called the Smart Cities Marketplace, featuring smart city enabling technologies “such as artificial intelligence systems, sensors, data analytics, transportation, network infrastructures, and other devices and services.” Learn more about this, and other CES experiences here.

Speaking Opportunity: SXSW is now accepting speaker proposals related to music, film, and digital technologies in variety of formats including panels, solo presentations, workshops, and more through its PanelPicker. For the past ten years, SXSW organizers have utilized the PanelPicker as a way to democratize panel selection. Public voting via the PanelPicker accounts for 30% of selection weight (the other 70% is split between staff & the SXSW advisory board), so there is a strong incentive to craft an intriguing topic and encourage voting. If you have a unique and innovative session idea, submit it here by Friday, 21 July 2017. SXSW 2018 will return to Austin from 9 – 18 March.

Lunchtime Learning: TiEcon is self-described s one of “the largest technology anchored conferences dedicated to fostering entrepreneurship,” attracting more than 4,500 attendees.  Held annually in Silicon Valley, the conference agenda covers hot areas of innovation including machine learning, IoT, FinTech, security, autonomous vehicles, virtual reality, software defined infrastructure, drones, digital health, and more. Watch speakers such as investors Vinod Khosla and Tim Draper, innovators from Meta Co., AutoX Inc., and NASA, and business leaders from JetBlue, Marketo, and VMware take on the 2017 theme: IMAGINE. INNOVATE. INFLECT.

Coming up next week: Fortune Brainstorm: Tech kicks off next Monday 17 July to a sold out, invitation-only audience of leaders from Fortune 500 companies, entrepreneurs, and investors. This exclusive summer conference retreat couples keynotes on fast-breaking tech trends with breakfast round tables and even morning hikes and yoga. Celebrating its 20th year, Black Hat/USA begins 22 July with with four days of technical training, followed by two conference days of programming for the more than 9,000 information security professionals who attend. The IOT Evolution Expo will be held next week in Las Vegas and draws an audience of developers, architects, senior IT management, and operations managers. The theme for this year’s program is “Defining the Impact of IoT on the Enterprise.” For marketing leaders, Frost & Sullivan offers its Annual Digital Marketing MindXchange 17-19 July. Held in Nashville, the organizers promise attendees “a professional network, unbiased insights, actionable techniques and the tools necessary to achieve transformational growth and return.”